A Promise to My Daughter - Thandolwethu ♥ Rethabile

by - Tuesday, August 08, 2017

It's hard to believe it's been over a decade since I wrote this letter, just a year after you came into my world. I still read it from time to time, a reminder of the incredible journey we've been on together. Being a first-time mom was filled with so much learning and growth. I've had to re-evaluate promises and discover what motherhood truly means.


A letter to my daughter

From the moment you began to grow inside me, I felt a flutter of excitement and a love I had never known. Of course, there were moments of fear and anxiety, but those had nothing to do with you. They were simply a reflection of my own lack of preparation. I had been entrusted with God’s most precious gift, and the weight of that responsibility was overwhelming.

As you grew stronger, so did my sense of purpose. When you finally arrived, it marked the beginning of a whole new chapter in my life. Giving birth to you felt like giving birth to a part of myself, my heart walking outside my body. From that moment on, I knew your joys and sorrows would be mine to share.

I made a promise to myself that I would never endure pain, wanting to shield you from any hardship. Yet, I found you wiping away my tears when I inevitably faltered.

I vowed never to fall, not wanting you to inherit my struggles. But you, my little Mohammed Ali, have proven to be exceptionally strong on your own.

I swore to put your needs before my own, as God entrusted me with your care. You've made this the easiest promise to keep. Even at such a young age, you share your treats and let me sleep on your side of the bed so I can charge my phone. Your love is boundless.

I promised to hug you every day and tell you how much I love you. And every time I come home, your warm embrace makes this a shared task we both cherish.

I promised to protect myself, so you would never see me hurt. I remember the time you told me not to drink too much water because it was spilling from my eyes. That's when I knew I had to try even harder.

I promised to respect myself, so you would learn respect through my actions. I've realized that while I can instill values, the most important thing is to teach you not to conform to society's expectations.

I promised to prepare you for the worst but always wish for the best. I promised to teach you how to express yourself, forgive others, and never hit rock bottom. I promise that you will never hit rock bottom because if you ever had to fall, I will lay on the ground, and you will land in my arms and never hit the floor.

Being your mother has taught me countless valuable lessons. Your presence has made me a better woman, friend, and person in every way. When you're happy, I want to celebrate with you. When you're sad, I want to comfort you. When you're hurt, I'll do everything I can to ease your pain. And if I fail, I'll share in your pain to lighten the load.

I've learned that I can't always be there to catch you when you stumble, but I'll always be the first person you can turn to when things get tough. I'll be strong enough for both of us.

I know the pain of feeling alone, and I never want you to experience that. You can always count on me, and I'll protect you every day of my life. You have a mother and father who love you beyond measure and a Heavenly Father who wants only the best for you. When you feel lost, I'll teach you to kneel and pray, for there is no one greater than your creator.

I have regrets in life, but having you is not one of them. You were my best decision. You are my joy, my strength, my sunshine. You are everything to me.

Even now, I can't fully explain the depth of my love for you. But trust me, I feel it with every breath I take.

With Endless Love,
Mom


You May Also Like

0 comments